Sunday, July 24, 2011

Oatmeal Cranberry Muffins

Pin It
This is going to be a short and quick post. Sometimes, I need to stop rambling about everything from the weather, to my technical woes, to my amazing toddler's latest achievement, and let the post be about the food, right?

Besides, I gotta run. :)

Before I go, let me tell you - I am not a huge fan of oatmeal porridge. But I love baked goods that have oatmeal in them. So when I came across a recipe for oatmeal breakfast muffins, I figured I would make them so I could eat them for breakfast and not feel guilty. The recipe needed a lot of modification, but this is what I ended up with.
This recipe makes five muffins. Fill the empty muffin cup of your 6-muffin tray with water, and that will take care of several things. It will keep the muffins moist, and stop the tin from warping.

Oatmeal Cranberry Muffins
Adapted from 'Muffins Galore!'
Ingredients
25g (5 tbsp) oats
140ml milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
120g (1 cup) self-raising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
75g (1/3 cup) dark brown sugar
50g (1/2 cup) dried cranberries (extra for garnish)
1 small egg (or 1/2 large egg) beaten lightly
3 tbsp canola oil
50g icing sugar

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 200.
2. In a small bowl, combine the oats, milk and vanilla and set aside to soak for at least 10 minutes.
3. Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
4. Stir in the cranberries.
5. Stir in the oil and egg into the oatmeal mixture.
6. Add the oatmeal mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
7. Spoon the batter into your muffin tray, and make sure to fill any empty muffin cups with water.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
9. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Melt the icing sugar with enough water to make a thin, smooth glaze.
11. Drizzle some of this over the top of each muffin, and let the muffins soak up the glaze.
12. Top with more dried cranberries, and serve warm.

The muffin itself is not very sweet, and so it really does need that glaze/syrup over the top. I love biting into it and finding moist bits of cranberry. That's my favorite part of a fruity muffin. Other than that, this muffin is soft, moist and a great way to start the day.

In other news, I really want to thank Elisabeth of Food and Thrift Finds for sharing this award with me. I really appreciate it, Elisabeth. Thank you!

Pin It

27 comments:

Jennifurla said...

This looks fab, love the texture and bursts of color.

Mary@One Perfect Bite said...

I'd love one of these to kick start my day. These look and sound amazing. I've bookmarked your recipe.Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Maris Callahan said...

I am always looking for great breakfast muffin recipes and I now I have one!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

They not only taste amazing but they look down right beautiful. I can just imagine how moist and sweet they are with the cranberries. Oh I wish I had some right now

Amy Tiffanie said...

These look amazing!! I think orange and cranberry have such good flavors together. Especially in the heat!

Beth Hyzy said...

I love cranberries in my oatmeal!  These look like a perfect version in muffin form :)

Magic of Spice said...

These muffins look and sound wonderful! I have always loved oatmeal muffins and adore the cranberries :)

Erin said...

I LOVE muffins!  These look wonderful!  I am like you, I don't like oatmeal plain, but put it in baked goods, and I love it!

Raquel said...

Terrific! These sound delicious. Congrats! This recipe looks GREAT

Sandra's Easy Cooking said...

:)) I am not huge fan of oatmeal porridge too, but I love oatmeal anything other than cooked and look like well you know:)) Your muffins look amazing..I love that you used cranberries, it would be hit over the Thanksgiving dinner!!!

KimBee said...

This looks so refreshing and light. I love how the cranberries pop. Not only is it visually appealing I bet it tastes and smells amazing. This is one I wish I had smellovision for. Great job!

Liz said...

I feel the same way about oatmeal!  Love oatmeal cookies, but having it cooked for breakfast...ick.  Your muffins look fabulous...I love dried cranberries :)

Alexis L Irvin @There said...

yummm oatmeal in muffins!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking said...

Oatmeal in muffins is delicious and I love how you added cranberries to yours, Marsha.

gogetzm said...

I love muffins!

elisabeth@foodandthriftfinds said...

Since I'm still staying at my son's house I could not comment on your post because of the high security he has set up on his computer. Just totally reject entering your blog and a few others...so sorry about that, I would have commented sooner. I absolutely adore your oatmeal cranberry muffins...love the bright pretty color of the cranberries, and the healthy goodness of these yummy muffins!
Also, thank you for mentioning me re: the award I passed on to you, that was so nice of you!

Gourmantine said...

I am not a particular fan oatmeal at all (bought a bad two months ago for the first time, but still haven't open...) But I may just try making these cute muffins with them :)

feedthebf said...

Sounds like the perfect breakfast muffin!  I love the oatmeal-cranberry combo =)

bakerbynature said...

I love a healthy muffin that can easily double as breakfast!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

I don't normally eat oatmeal (I just never liked the mushy warm breakfast), but I love oatmeal cookies and muffins!  Lately I'm in love with cranberries (I'm a late bloomer) and this sounds like something I'd love to eat no matter what time of the day.  Well, it would be the best with my morning coffee.  Yummy muffins!

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

THey sound lovely muffins - super flavors and I love that you use oats!
Mary

Frugal Antics said...

I am a huge oatmeal fan.  Those muffins sound perfect.

Roxana Greengirl said...

oh no, please  keep the rambling coming, i love reading them,
these muffins would fit perfect in my breakfast menu, please send me a couple. Much appreciated :)

Christine said...

Looks wonderful! Love it! Congrats on the award! You deserve it.

bellini said...

Oatmeal and cranberries are so good for you, it makes eating more than my share of these acceptable.

Joyti said...

I am so in love with oatmeal muffins lately...I made three batches last week. Your sound delicious, especially with that pop of tart cranberry.

Sherri@FoodBasics101 said...

These look delish...and I haven't had breakfast yet! Thanks for adding the US measurements...*smile*

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics