Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lime & Pepper Cookies

Pin It
I am totally a cookie person. I rarely eat store bought cookies, though. Nothing beats a homemade cookie! I like soft, buttery cookies or chunky, chewy cookies. And as you may already know if you've read any of my earlier posts, I am crazy about lime. So, when I saw a recipe for Lime Meltaway Cookies on Serious Eats, I knew I just had to try it. Then, I found Martha Stewart's Lime Meltaways, and I ended up combining the two recipes and adding my own spin to them to create these little beauties.


I turned the lime cookies into a slightly more grown-up cookie with the addition of fresh cracked pepper. This doesn't really make the cookie spicy, like you might think it would, but just gives the cookie a flavor that you won't soon forget. The texture of the cookies is very similar to shortbread. Maybe just a wee bit firmer. I was a little nervous at first because I made quite a few changes to the recipes, but I was very pleased with the results.


For the pepper, I found this pretty little pepper melange at the supermarket. Unfortunately, it is in one of those sealed, plastic pepper mills, and so I couldn't get the pepper corns out to show you how pretty they are! They really are very pretty - a combination of black, white, green and pink pepper, really make a pretty picture.

Lime & Pepper Cookies
Ingredients
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tsp lime zest
1/2 tsp freshly ground coarse pepper
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp corn flour
1/2 tsp salt

Note: If you don't have rice flour at hand, just substitute 3 tbsp of regular flour instead.

Method
1. In your mixer, cream the butter, lime zest, pepper, sugar, vanilla and lime juice at together at medium speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
2. With the mixer running on low, add the flours and salt and continue mixing until completely incorporated.
3. Turn the mixer up and cream for a further 5 minutes.
4. Transfer the cookie dough onto a large sized piece of cling film, and form into a log.
5. Chill for 15 minutes in the refrigerator.
6. Preheat the oven to 350.
7. Slice the cookies about 1/4 inch thick, and bake for 10-12 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
8. Transfer to a cooling rack, and let the cookies cool down completely.
9. Store in an airtight container.

If the cookies are not sweet enough for you, toss the cookies in more powdered sugar while they are still warm. They were sweet enough for us.


When you bite into these cookies, the first flavor that hits you is the lime. It is unmistakable. Then you taste the butteriness of the cookies. Just when you are getting ready to take your next bite, you feel a slight tingle at the back of your mouth. That's the pepper kicking in. A few seconds later, it's gone, and you're ready for your next lime-y, buttery, peppery bite.


Have I mentioned that my daughter loves lime too? Not quite the way I do. She loves LIMES. She actually eats limes. You know the lime slices that come as garnishes on plates and drinks? She eats those. Yes. Strange, I know, but that's just way things are. Well, she liked these cookies too. At first, I was nervous about giving her a cookie with pepper in it, but she devoured it without flinching. I can't guarantee that all your kids will like these cookies too, but I think you will!


Technorati Tags:
Pin It

56 comments:

Lizzy Do said...

I love your adult take on this yummy cookie!  I haven't made lime meltaways in years, but will have to try your version next  :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Great combo of flavors here. I love adding pepper to fruit and this sounds and looks delicious. How on earth did you think of this! Love it!

Maris Callahan said...

I am fascinated by the combination of lime and pepper. I also totally agree with you that no store bought cookie can come close to homemade.

Manu said...

What a fantastic combo!  I love pepper (much more than chillies) and I'd love to have some of those yummy cookies!!!!  Great post Marsha!!! 

Three-Cookies said...

Pepper in a cookie sounds interesting, never heard of it.

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

What wonderful flavors!  Such a great idea, can't wait to try these
Mary x

Mary@One Perfect Bite said...

What a marvelous re-invention of a nice cookie. You've taken them to a whole nother level and they sound delicious and interesting. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

spcookiequeen said...

These do sound good and I love black pepper in crackers, so why not in cookies.
-Gina-

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Lizzy! I hope you try it and like it! :) Thanks for stopping by...

theharriedcook said...

I love pepper/chilli powder on fruit too! I didn't really come up with these myself, though I wish I had!  :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Obviously, I love that combination too! :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Thanks for your thoughtful words, Manu! I really wish I could send you some cookies... Thanks for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

You should try it! It's great :) Thanks for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Mary! I hope you try it... They are really good! Thanks for stopping by...

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Mary! I really appreciate your thoughtful comment... I hope you have a lovely day too! Thanks for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

Indeed. Why not? :) They were good, Gina! Thanks for stopping by...

Vicki @ WITK said...

I'm so intrigued with the flavor of these!  I'll have to whip up a batch just to see how they taste! :)

theharriedcook said...

You should! And it would be great if you let me know what you thought of them! Thanks for stopping by, Vicki :)

Chef Dennis said...

now I do love lime, but as for actually eating a lime that stopped after my first attempt!  But I do love the flavor it adds and the aroma of lime...sigh
those cookies sound soooo good, and pepper?  What a cleaver addition!  Great job with those little beauties!

Apron Appeal said...

I like my lime, sweet and savory so why are these cookies scaring me a little. I like pepper too. I don't know, I just may not be that brave. :)

OrgasmicChef said...

Clever twist on an old favorite of mine.  Great photos!

Peggy Labor said...

What an interesting combo for a cookie!  I'm totally intrigued - and I just may give this a go this weekend =)

Sandras Easy Cooking said...

Woww, what an interesting combination..I love it, really inventive..lemon and pepper I would never thought that would work! Look amazing!

Roxana GreenGirl said...

Marsha, with every recipe you share with us you make me want to more in your neighborhood, right next to your door.
Everything sounds amazingly good!  

theharriedcook said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment, Chef Dennis. Though I don't do it often, I can eat a lime too, with minimal flinching :) I guess my daughter takes after me.... the pepper in these cookies was great! Thank you for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Honestly, this cookie is a sweet, simple cookie with just a little bite. Nothing scary :) I hope you give it a shot! Thanks for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment! :) Thank you for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

I was pretty intrigued by the idea as well, but I really felt it would work. And it did! :) Thanks for stopping by, Peggy!

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Sandra! :) Not entirely my invention, but definitely a good one! :) Thanks for stopping by...

theharriedcook said...

Aww.... Thank you for your sweet comment, Roxana! I wouldn't complain if you moved into my neighborhood. I would just reach into your window and grab a cheese bun for breakfast :) Thank you, Roxana! :D

Jill Colonna said...

Wow.  Pepper and lime in these cookies?  You never cease to amaze me.  They are sensational, Marsha.  Love your creation here.  The pink and green peppercorns sound intriguing, too.

Nami @ Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Marsha!  I didn't know you have posted 2 new recipes already.... I haven't received your post udpates since Herb & Garlic Focaccia... I wonder why.  

These lime & pepper cookies look delicious.  I have never tried but I can imagine the taste already!  Delicious!!  I LOVE the pictures...the cookies stand out so well!

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Jill, for your kind and generous compliments! :) The cookies were really good... And about the peppercorns - they really are very pretty. Green peppercorns are very common here, but not the pink ones. So, I was very happy to find the melange :) Thanks for stopping by, Jill!

theharriedcook said...

Hey Nami! I wonder why you haven't been getting my email updates! That's not good. I will look into it. The lime & pepper cookies were really nice :) And thank you for your kind words about the pictures :) Thanks for stopping by!

Kim - Liv Life said...

I don't think I would have paired lime and pepper together, but how interesting!  I'm with you on the cookies, I could eat them every day, but I'm partial to my home made ones as well.  I'm going to have to give these a go!

Foodness Gracious said...

Great sounding cookie! My 15 month old son has eaten lemons on a few occasions without flinching....
Thanks for sharing!!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

Mmm I have a thing for black pepper in my sweets!  They're in my favorite ginger spice cookies and my apple brie cupcakes.  Love the combination with lime here though -- so refreshing!

Kimby said...

I like the way you think -- and invent cookie recipes!  Beautiful photos, too, Marsha!

Kate@Diethood.com said...

These look gorgeous... I can't believe the flavors...Lime and pepper?! WOW! Love your creativity, Marsha!! 

Magic of Spice said...

I absolutely love these!  Lime is such a great ingredient for sweets and a bit of peppery touch is lovely :)

theharriedcook said...

I love pepper and lime on a perfectly grilled piece of fish, but this was my first time using it in a dessert! :) Thanks for your comment! And for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

Kids really have adventurous palates, don't they :) I hope you enjoy this recipe :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

That sounds incredible, Xiaolu... especially the apple brie cupcakes! I bet they're delicious! :) Thanks for your thoughtful comment :)

theharriedcook said...

Not entirely my invention, but thank you for your thoughtful comment! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Kate. Lime and pepper are awesome on chicken and fish, and now they're awesome in a cookie :) Thanks for stopping by! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you so much! :) I really appreciate you thoughtful comment! Thanks for stopping by... :)

jess said...

these look absoultely gorgeous! so delicate!

Frugal Antics said...

What a great cookie.  They look delicious.  I can just imagine the subtle taste of the pepper in that wonderful lime!

Gitusabu said...

I really like the pictures in this one! Now i'm COMPLETELY satisfied!!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

What a unique cookie with lime and pepper! I have not made cookies in a while and these sure sounds good. I know just the mix of pepper you are referring to as it is my favorite.

theharriedcook said...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :) Thanks for stopping by :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Kristen! They were good :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

I am SO glad :) Thank you for saying that... Means a lot! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Biren! :) Yeah, that peppers really good! Thanks for stopping by!

WizzyTheStick said...

Fabulous cookies. I love lime just as much as your daughter does

theharriedcook said...

Really? Wow... Then you must really love lime! :) Thanks for stopping by!

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics