Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fudgy Bacon Brownies w/ Nutella

Pin It
After that healthy, but delicious granola post, I just felt right to post this. Because we need balance in life, you know. And bacon. We need bacon.

Yes. I finally went and did it. Something I thought I would never do. I went and put bacon in dessert. And man, oh man! No regrets whatsoever. Since it was my first time, there is some room for improvement, and if you let me, I want to share what my experiences were.

It all started when some friends & I planned to have a pot-luck dinner. Not just any pot-luck dinner. Bacon Fest! What fun! I decided right away to do a main & a dessert, but what dessert? Bacon pie? Bacon Ice cream (I almost did)? Bacon on some sort of pie? Finally, I settled on Bacon Brownies. I don't know why, but that sounded the best. Better than Bacon Clafouti. Bacon Brownies.


I hunted high and low for a good brownie base recipe, but I finally came back to my most trusted Brownie recipe. Even if you skip the bacon, I suggest you make this recipe, especially if you like fudge. This recipe makes the moistest, fudgiest brownies ever!

Now, for my honest feedback. The recipe really worked, but I guess the bacon was too crispy and the chocolate overpowered the bacon in the batter, and the Nutella overpowered the bacon sprinkles. That was pretty sad. We still tasted the bacon, but it was not as strong as we would have liked it.



There were 2 squares left after dinner, which I put in the fridge. Made sense with the meat topping. The next morning, I helped myself to a square for breakfast. Yes. For breakfast. Bacon is a breakfast food, you know! Don't judge me. Anyhoo, I took a bite of the brownie and lo and behold, there was bacon. I could really taste it. I guess the chocolate flavor wasn't as strong when it was cold, and I could really, really taste the bacon. IT.WAS.SO.GOOD! It was like eating the yummiest piece of bacon-flavored fudge. Doesn't that sound good? Bacon flavored fudge. Mmmmm!

Next time I make this recipe, and yes there most definitely will be a next time, I will double the bacon, cook it a little less, chop the bacon into larger pieces, and skip the Nutella. And the time after that, I will try Bacon Blondies! My journey with bacon has just begun.


Here is my recipe:

Bacon Nutella Fudge Brownies
Ingredients
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups sugar  
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder  
1/2 tsp vanilla 
3 medium eggs, cold
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted walnuts
8 strips of bacon
3-4 tbsp Nutella

Method 
1. Cook the bacon strips to the desired level of done-ness. Chop into approximately 1/2 squares. Set aside on a paper towel.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter, and turn off the stove. Let the butter cool slightly.
3. Add the sugar, sifted cocoa powder, vanilla extract, salt and water. Stir well until completely blended and smooth. Let this cool for 5 minutes.
4. Add the eggs one at a time into the mixture, beating well after each addition.
5. Beat well for 5 minutes until the batter is smooth, glossy and thick.
6. Add the flour and stir well to blend, and continue to beat the batter for another 3 minutes.
7. Stir in the chopped walnuts, and 3/4 of the bacon bits. Reserve the remaining bacon.
8. Grease and flour a square baking tray. Pour the batter in and spread it evenly, making sure the top is nice and smooth.
9. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, but with a few wet crumbs sticking to it.
10. Let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Cut into nine even squares, and lift out of the tray.
11. Frost each square with a thin layer of Nutella, and sprinkle with reserved bacon bits.
12. Serve warm or cold. Cold is good.

This is the recipe I used. You could add more bacon or keep it the same way. But either way, you will not regret making this.



Bacon fest was a great success. On the menu, bacon wrapped sausages with apple, buttery cornbread, bacon & caramelized onion pizza, potato wedges, and of course, the Nutella bacon brownies. What a spread it was! I wish I had pictures to share, but nobody even stopped to whip out a camera. We were all enjoying our food too much. And let me tell you, it was goooooooooood! :)

Technorati Tags: , , ,
Pin It

49 comments:

Anju Sabu said...

Ha! I beat all the food bloggers! Looks great... I'd be a bit scared to try though. It's not as if it's chilli and chocolate!

Anju Sabu said...

oooh idea... make chilli chocolate brownies!! It'll be amazing!!! ps - these brownies really do look scrumptious. 

Gitu said...

Truly scrumptious

Erin @ Making Memories said...

Oh my heck!  I absolutely love bacon.  I want a potluck of bacon desserts!  =o)  But I've never done bacon in a dessert.  I just can't bring myself to do it.  But your brownies look good (in a weird bacony sort of way)  =o)  Okay, I'll do it.  I'm taking your word on the deliciousness of it!

Unknown said...

Bacon! Brownies! OMG..you've outdone yrself!!!
This is definitely going on my to do list!
J

Beetlebuggy said...

I can't believe Anju is still only 2 years old (mentally). Or maybe I can. ;)

Anyway, Marsha, this looks delightful though I'm not too sure about how my taste buds would receive them!

Katecwall said...

Bacon + Chocolate + Brownie = Bliss. This looks wonderful! I wish I could take a bit right now!

Lizzy Do said...

You've almost convinced me to try bacon in a dessert...almost.  But if some of my friends were hosting a bacon fest, this is exactly the recipe I'd use :)  Sounds like a fun time!

Nami said...

Marsha, you are too funny.  You just posted a healthy meal and now here comes bacon!  I've seen lots of bacon sweets in foodie community and I'm curious but I'm too old fashion and conservative to try.  Well, if you give me a piece... I might give it a try...hehehe. ;-)

Inside a British Mum's Kitchen said...

Who would have thought!!!! Brilliant, inspirational, my children will go wild for these!
Mary x

Galexi Cupcakes said...

Bacon! Brownies! OMG..you've outdone yrself!!!This is definitely going on my to do list!J

theharriedcook said...

LOL :D It's not a race you know! Scared? Chicken! Hmmmm... I wonder how chicken would be in a brownie... Just kidding!!! :D

theharriedcook said...

Next time you visit. I"ll even add red chilli flakes as the topping. How does that sound? :)

theharriedcook said...

Truuuly Scrumptious, you're Truly, truly scrumptious... You've got me singing that now :) Thanks, Gitu! :)

theharriedcook said...

LOL :D It really does taste good, Erin. No kidding. Just don't make the same mistakes I did, and you will enjoy every bacon-y bite! :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Hey! I thought you wanted Bacon fest  the next time you visit! Are you chickening out? You can't have bacon without a bacon dessert! Prepare yourself mentally :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

:) Thanks, Kate. I thought it was yummy :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Ah! Almost is almost good enough :) If you do make it, please do read the paragraph on what I would do differently in the recipe. Just so you get that bacon-y goodness in every bite :) Thanks for stopping by, Lizzy!

theharriedcook said...

Haha :) I warned everyone in my healthy post that the next post was going to be very different :) This was my first time trying bacon in dessert, and I was pleasantly surprised. I wish I could send you a piece!!! I don't know how well bacon will survive the trip from India :) Thanks for stopping by, Nami!

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Mary! :) Your kids have excellent taste :) Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Jackie! Your comment turned up! :) Yay! :) Thank you for the kind words... Dessert with bacon was something new to me, but I enjoyed it. If you do make this recipe, please do read the paragraph on what I would do differently. I think that might help you perfect this recipe :) Thanks for stopping by! :)

Rachel {eaternal bliss} said...

Marsha, I read fudge + bacon + brownies + nutella and of course I have to check it out!  I would've never thunk it, but I can imagine how indulgent and tasty this is!  Definitely need something cold to help wash that down! 

theharriedcook said...

:D You bet. Better yet, something hot to help break down all that bacon fat :D LOL... It was an interesting and tasty experiment. Thanks for stopping by, Rachel! :)

Sandras Easy Cooking said...

Ohhh...wow..bacon and chocolate! I never tried that combination, but I see the balance after that healthy stuff before:D Looks amazing and very delicious, as I would probably eat one too many hahaa

Ann said...

I love bacon and chocolate together!  My husband adores nutella....I think I need to make these for his birthday!  Thanks for a lovely post!

Kate Moran said...

Ok, I don't really understand the chocolate and bacon thing, but I'm guessing that's because it's new and I've been a veggie for too long to understand.  But, my son...however....just might flip for these.  I'm guessing it's only one step away from maple bacon, witht he savory and sweet combo.  Thank you for sharing! 

Jill Colonna said...

They look FABULOUS, Marsha. You know, I have tried chocolate and bacon together and it is incredible (made macarons with the combo).  It's funny the reactions you get with folk thinking you're nuts.  Truth be told, it IS perhaps a bit mad and fun but it's bloody fantastic.  Yours looks even "nuttier" and love it with the hazelnut addition, too.  Love the squidgy delicious topping.....

Vicki @ WITK said...

Bacon in dessert is an odd combination, but bacon makes everything more delicious, right?  Sounds so good!

Frugal Antics said...

Every time I suggest that I make a bacon dessert, my husband looks at me as though I had blasphemed.  He is a bacon purist.  So, I drool over other blogs like this one.  What a creation!

Mary@One Perfect Bite said...

There should be a monetary reward for recipes that combine bacon and chocolate in  a single bite. These really sound good. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

theharriedcook said...

:) Thanks, Sandra! I am guilty of eating two too many. I admit it :D Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Ann! :) It is an awesome recipe. Just read the part about how I think the recipe can be made better, and I am sure it will turn out great! :) Thanks for stopping by... 

theharriedcook said...

Yeah, I guess it IS just one step away from pancakes with bacon & syrup :) But it is really, really delicious! Thanks for stopping by! :)

theharriedcook said...

Ah! A kindred spirit. How I wish I could get my hands on one of those macarons, Jill! Sigh. But it really is a fantastic combination :) And yes, it is fun to play mad scientist sometimes :) Thank you for your kind words & for stopping by!  

theharriedcook said...

You bet!! Odd but SO good! :) Thanks for stopping by, Vicki!

theharriedcook said...

Kristen, if your husband is a bacon purist, mine is a chocolate purist. He could not bring himself to eat a piece of this. I even made him a few with nutella and walnut on the top, but he couldn't get over the bacon in the batter :) I have hope. Maybe one day :D Thanks for stopping by!

theharriedcook said...

Then my blog would be called 'baconandchocolateforever.com' LOL :D 

But seriously, the dessert was reward enough! Thanks for stopping by, Mary! I hope you have a fabulous day too :)

Debbie said...

An awesome idea!! First time I tried bacon with dessert, I knew it was soo right too! Bacon flavored fudge would definitely be interesting, but I think the hubbie would prefer these brownies ASAP! Thanks for the recipe and yummy looking pics!

theharriedcook said...

:) Another bacon dessert fan! Yay :) I've been thinking a lot about bacon flavored fudge too :) I hope your husband enjoys these brownies :) Thanks for stopping by!

Ky Foley said...

Holy cow this looks ridiculously good, what a genius combination, I am in love! Thanks so much for sharing, this is a truly sexy dessert I swear, wow! 

-FreeSpiritEater

theharriedcook said...

Thank you for your comment, Ky! It really was good, and I am so glad I decided to try bacon in dessert :) Thanks for stopping by!

Bizzy said...

I can only imagine what salty and sweet are like.  The brownie is a beauty.  I invite you to link this to Bake with Bizzy.  I have a feeling, a lot of people, are going to be interested in this recipe.  It is a winner.
http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/05/bake-with-bizzy-2-almond-blueberry.html

theharriedcook said...

Thank you :) I will share it on your page. Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by!

Thesweetdetails said...

Hey I host a blog hop and I'd LOVE if you came over and shared a recipe! Here's the link :) http://thesweetdetail.blogspot.com/search/label/Savory%20Sunday

i got a new blog url

theharriedcook said...

Thank you for stopping by!

Amanda said...

Bacon + Chocolate = Swoon

Amanda
softandstiffpeaks.blogspot.com

Javed Vardi said...

Wow! how spicy it is!
After reading your blog now i just want to try it as soon as possible. love
to have your browni
recipe
.

Kitt9396 said...

I see in the recipe in step 3 .. says to add salt and water.. however.. I do not see salt or water listed in ingredients etc.. can u help me out please and thank u

Randi said...

hello!  I am going to try out this recipe tomorrow for a party and was wondering how many brownies a single batch makes?
thanks
R

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics