Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Filled Doughnuts

Pin It
The busy week is moving along at snail's pace. Doesn't help that now I'm sick too. But I'm not complaining!

The highlight of my week so far, has been my little girl. My 18 month old is truly amazing in my eyes. Every time she says a new word or phrase, it thrills me to bits. When she started counting from 1-10 a few weeks ago, I was so excited. But this latest one is my favorite so far. Since she was about 15 months old, she would recite the alphabet from A-H, and then stop. I figured she'll learn the next few letters soon enough. But a few days ago, she started doing something new. And now, this is how she says her alphabet - A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, I love you! She makes me so proud! :)

Anyways, after my last, very harried-sounding post, I decided that since the thing that de-stresses me best is cooking, that's what I would do. So, I got my hands into some yeast dough and worked the dough till my arms hurt. It felt so good! :) And it really showed in the result. The extra kneading resulted in an amazing dough texture. See? Being stressed helps - sometimes. :)



I used the same recipe for the doughnuts as the last time. You can find the recipe here. I think these doughnuts are phenomenal when eaten fresh. By fresh, I mean within the first 10 minutes of frying. The outside is crisp and the inside velvety & soft. They're amazing. But, having said that, you couldn't possibly eat all of them within 10 minutes of frying them. Or could you? :) These doughnuts still taste great even after a day or two.

Because it is an egg-based filling, I felt it was safer to store these in the fridge if they last more than eight hours. I only had one leftover to store in the fridge, which my husband enjoyed with coffee the next morning. All it needed was a quick zap in the microwave.

For the filling, I used a simple pastry cream or creme patissiere. Here is my favorite recipe for creme patissiere. I adapted it from various sources.

Vanilla Bean Creme Patisserie
Ingredients
2 cups milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 egg yolk
1 whole egg
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup white sugar
3 tbsp unsalted butter

Method
1. Pour the milk into a large saucepan.
2. Add the 1/4 cup sugar to the milk.
3. Split the vanilla bean down the middle and scrape out the inner seeds. Add all the seeds and the pod into the milk.
4. On a low heat, slowly bring the milk to a gentle boil.
5. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, the whole egg, the cornstarch and the one-third cup of sugar, until light and creamy.
6. Pour the hot milk into the bowl, in a slow stream, whisking the egg mixture constantly.
7. After the two mixtures have combined, transfer it back to the saucepan and cook on low heat until the custard is thick and creamy, and coats the back of a spoon.
8. Strain to eliminate any lumps and to remove the vanilla bean pod.


I usually like to cook it a little longer that usual, to get a thicker custard, simply because I don't want runny filling in my doughnuts. When the doughnuts were cool enough to handle, I filled the doughnuts very generously using my Kuhn Rikon Frosting Deco Pen. It was super easy. After they have been filled, let the doughnuts cool completely before dusting them with powdered sugar.


Alternatively, if you love peanut butter as much as I do, you could also use the peanut butter pudding recipe from my trifle pudding post, to fill the doughnuts. I'm kicking myself for not trying it, especially because I had some leftover pudding in the fridge. I am sure it would have tasted great!

But, I have always loved filled doughnuts, and so this will be the first of many filled doughnut recipes.

Just thought I should mention - for some strange reason, every time I want to type the word 'doughnut', I end up typing 'doughbut'. I wonder - is that my conscience's way of telling me to lay off the fried bread??? Hmmm...


Pin It

31 comments:

Erin @ Making Memories said...

These look amazing! And your daughter sounds adorable! It's so much fun watching their little minds work and grow. What great memories!!!

Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oh my! These look so delicious... what I would do for one right now ;)

New to your blog; happy I found you!

spcookiequeen said...

Mmm, I love doughnuts especially warm soft ones. I try to lay off them, but you are making it hard for me, just staring at them makes me want one. Sorry you aren't feeling too well, hope you feel better soon. I love that age your daughter is at, so fun.
-Gina-

Beetlebuggy said...

Oooo yummy! I love goodies like this fresh too especially cakes and bakes! They're so fluffy when they're freshly hot. My next investment for the kitchen is the Frosting Deco Pen...that looks so darn cool!

Firefly said...

I love filled donuts :) they look so yummy! :D Your daughters alphabet sounds adorable :) and too cute!

Jill@MadAboutMacarons said...

You have got me drooling. What dough, what photos with that filling oozing out. So happy to hear about the wee one speaking the alphabet. Enjoy: they grow up so quickly. Today my daughter just turned 11, didn't want to kiss me any more at the school gate. Boohoo! Get better soon and great you destress on the dough but go easy on yourself ;-)

Lizzy Do said...

Your pictures are certainly drool worthy! My kids would probably give their left arms to have me make these gems!!! And I love your daughter's alphabet...so darn cute!!! Make sure you write all these things down to share with her when she's a teen :)

Kim-Liv Life said...

Oh, I love your daughter's alphabet!! The 18 month age was always one of my favorites, one that I truly treasure. I still have video of both kids that we watch occasionally, and they are just so precious.
As for precious,... these doughnuts just may fit that same bill! I haven't had a filled doughnut in years, but I'm feeling a craving coming on!

Gitu said...

Hate you for not making it when I was there!

Frugal Antics said...

Your little girl sounds like such a sweetie. That alphabet is just precious.

I love the vanilla bean filling to those donuts. I am afraid I would gobble up a huge pile of them. They sound amazing.

Catherine said...

I have never attempted to make donuts! You make it sound easy. They look delish! I can see why only one was left to store in the frig. It is a wonderful memory the way or daughter is reciting the alphabet. Blessings, Catherine xo

theharriedcook said...

:) It is so much fun! I am enjoying her now more than ever... Thanks for stopping by, Erin! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you so much! :) I am so glad you like my blog & hope you'll be back for more... will be looking for your blog... :)

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Gina! I am getting better... Yeah, I feel that way about doughnuts too... that's why I usually halve or even quarter the recipe... They are so much better than store-bought doughnuts, that I prefer to get my doughnut fix at home :)

theharriedcook said...

Thanks :) I wouldn't really get that Deco pen. I got mine as a gift and I am just using it because I have it. You should look around for something better...

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Suzana! :) She is a cutie and I am enjoying this stage in her life!

theharriedcook said...

Thanks for the heads up, Jill! I am sure time flies and I will be her uncool & embarrassing mom very, very soon! :) I am getting better - thanks! The dough really benefited from my stress :) Thanks for your kind words about my doughnuts!

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Lizzy! They were very tasty! I am trying to write down as much as I can for her because she just doesn't allow me to take videos of her. So, I am relying on my note-taking skills more than ever! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Kim! :) I wish she would allow me to take videos of her. She just refuses to 'perform' for the camera :) And the doughnuts turned out really good! :) My little girl loved the doughnut holes I made for her (even though filled doughnuts don't really have holes) :)

theharriedcook said...

But, I love you! I am sorry our doughnut making plans didn't work out when you were here last! Next time you come (this month, right?), we'll have a doughnut making afternoon together! After eating some chilly crab, perhaps? :)

theharriedcook said...

Thanks, Kristen! She is a sweetie and like Bill Cosby says - she says the darnedest things! :)

I loved the filling too. These doughnuts are excellent, but I made only half the recipe, and gave away a few... Otherwise, I would be in mortal danger of over-dosing on doughnuts! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Catherine! The doughnuts were pretty easy to make... and even easier to eat :) LOL

And yes, I am really enjoying this time in my daughter's life... Thanks for stopping by!

arpitnj said...

This is Amanda from stupid Arpit's account that I can't log out of from his laptop to say this:
I HOPE YOU FEEL GUILTY TILL YOUR FINGERS GET PRUNEY! THIS IS NOT FAIR!

Mary@One Perfect Bite said...

These look really delicious. I love that you've used a cream rather than a jelly to fill yours. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Joyti said...

A pastry cream filled donut...that sounds incredible! And it looks delicious, especially with that bit of cream oozing out. Yum...

Christine's Pantry said...

Sorry you are sick. Hope you feel better soon. Love the story about your daughter. Making great memories. Doughnuts sound great.

theharriedcook said...

Well, I'm not feeling guilty at all! I contacted you and offered to make you a batch but you were too busy to stop by. My fingers are fine, thank you! Hmpf.

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Mary! I find jelly doughnuts a little too sweet for my taste. Unless the jelly is homemade :) Thanks for stopping by! Have a great day! :)

theharriedcook said...

Thank you, Joyti! :) And thanks for finding my blog... Am heading over to yours now... :) Please stop by again :)

theharriedcook said...

Recovering very slowly, but getting along :) Yes, I am enjoying the wonderful times with my daughter... Thanks for stopping by! :)

CC said...

This I gotta try. I have a doughnut crazy niece and nothing will make her day like me making some at home for her. Thanks for the recipe! Love!!

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics