Monday, February 28, 2011

Lime curd Cupcakes

Pin It
Well, since I'm on a roll, I thought I would post another recipe I used a couple of months ago. This is a family favorite & I have always had good results using this recipe. It is inspired by a recipe I saw on this blog.

Cupcakes w/ lime curd filling & Swiss meringue buttercream frosting

Vanilla Cupcakes

The cupcakes are a modified version of the famous Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla cupcakes. I have made a few changes that I believe make a moister cupcake. It is a very versatile cupcake.

Ingredients
1.25 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups self-rising flour
1 cup unsalted butter
1.75 cups sugar
4 eggs (at room temperature)
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line your cupcake tray with paper or foil liners.
2. Combine flours in a small bowl & set aside. Combine the yoghurt & vanilla in another bowl.
3. Beat the butter & sugar together until creamy & light.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well until each egg is fully incorporated into the mixture.
5. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the yoghurt mixture. (Make sure you start and finish with the flour mixture)
6. Spoon the batter into the liners, filling them about 3/4 full.
7. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
8. Leave in the tin to cool for about 10 minutes & then remove & leave until completely cool on a rack.

Lime Curd
I love this recipe. It never fails me. And there's always plenty leftover for me to eat with toast.

Ingredients
1.5 cups sugar
8 tbsp unsalted butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
0.5 - 0.75 cups lime juice (depending on how tart you want the curd to be)
2-3 tsp lime zest

Method
1. Combine lime juice, zest & sugar in a saucepan &  boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Simmer for a further 5 minutes.
2. Add butter and stir until the butter has dissolved completely.
3. Take off the stove and let the mixture come to room temperature.
4. Beat the eggs & egg yolks to the lime mixture & mix well.
5. Return to the heat. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. It should now coat the back of a spoon.
6. Strain & set aside to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until it is time to assemble the cupcakes.

Swiss Meringue Buttercream Frosting
This recipe is a little technical but if you follow the rules, the result is amazing. This is also a very versatile frosting. You could substitute the vanilla with any other extract you like.

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
6 egg whites
250g / 18 tbsp butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. Combine the the egg whites and sugar & heat gently over a double boiler until the sugar is completely dissolved. The eggs should stay translucent & should not start to cook & turn whitish! You can check if the sugar is dissolved by rubbing the mixture between your fingers. If it smooth, then take it off the heat at once.
2. Pour into a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until the mixture has cooled. Continue to beat until you have soft peaks.
3. At this stage, start adding the butter, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Don't add more than 1-2 tablespoons at a time.
4. Do not panic if the mixture looks awful & curdles. Keep beating it at high speed. You will find that it will suddenly come together to make a creamy, light buttercream frosting.
5. Add the vanilla extract and beat till incorporated.

Assembling the cupcakes

I have assembled these cupcakes using two different methods. One option is to use the lemon curd as a filling. I was recently given a Kuhn Rikon Frosting Deco Pen which has a syringe attachment. I am able to fill the cupcake generously using the syringe attachment. Then I frost the top of the cupcake with the buttercream (covering up the hole the syringe makes) & sprinkle some lime zest over the top.

If you are unable to fill the cupcake, just spread a generous layer over the cupcake and cover that up with the buttercream. Either way, the result is delicious!
Pin It

13 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Lime curd.....be still my heart.....
those cupcakes look so very very good!! now the question is do you deliver!
Cheers and welcome to foodbuzz
Dennis

The Harried Cook said...

Thank you for your kind comment, Chef Dennis! Wouldn't mind sending some over, but I wonder if they would survive the journey from India! :)

Anonymous said...

I love those cupcakes. They look so good and yummy!

The Harried Cook said...

Thanks, Firefly! :) I love your blog!

sophia said...

I've never had lime curd before...are they better than lemon curd? I want to make these, but using the lemons in my backyard. :-) I love the yogurt in the cake!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen said...

These look delicious! I haven't been brave enough to try a Swiss Meringue Buttercream yet!

The Harried Cook said...

Thank you so much for your comments! :)

@Sophia - I prefer Lime curd because it much tarter than lemon curd. Much more of a zing and that's how I like it :) you have lemons in your backyard? JEALOUS!

@Maggie - you should give it a go!

Anonymous said...

I have never tried lemon curd but I am told it is definitely worth getting excited over! Your cupcakes look SO good! Thank you for sharing the recipe and your instructions!

Dionne

Anonymous said...

I have personally tasted these and I can say they are truly awesome!

The Harried Cook said...

Thank you Dionne :) you must try this lime curd recipe! You won't regret it!

And thank you, Clover, for that anonymous comment :D Will make more cupcakes for you...

Renee said...

I've got to try this too!

Unknown said...

I, too, have personally tasted these. They're kick ASS!

theharriedcook said...

Thanks for your feedback!

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics